Last February I decided to take on the challenge of competing in the Wildflower Triathlon, one of the nations most difficult Triathlons,which took place in May of 2006. The distance I would cover included a 1.5K (1 mile) Open Water Swim, followed by an intense 40K (25 Mile) bike ride and finishing off with a 10K (6 Mile) Run. I finished this race in 5 hours, since then I have continued to document my journey. http://www.active.com/donate/tntsvmb/tntsvmbSButler

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Sandy's Team in Training Newsletter week 5 - Tour De Los Altos

Hi Everyone

I am sending my update early this week so that I could invite you to a Home and Garden Party at the Sports Basement in Sunnyvale.

Lots to talk about in this one. Here is the Break Down:

1. Invite to Home and Garden Party
2. Workout update
3. Update on Ethan
4. Update on Fundraising


Invite to Home and Garden Party


Hostesses:
Sabine & Sandy
Location:
Sports Basement1177 Kern Ave, Sunnyvale, CA View Map
When:
Sunday, March 5, 1:00pm to 3:00pm
Phone:
650-793-3233

Please join us at a Home & Garden Party to help fundraise for our participation in Team in Training. 25% of all sales will go towards the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.The Home & Garden party features products such as home decor, garden decor, jewelry, candles, accessories, stoneware, floral, framed art, and much much more.To get a preview of what they sell please visit the website: http://www.bayareahomeandgardenparty.com/springcatalog.htmlIf you can't attend the party but would like to order things, please let one of us know and we'll get you an order form.** Beverages and snacks will be provided **Bring a friend and receive a free gift! Since it's at Sports Basements, everyone that says they came for our party will get 10% off anything purchased in the store. Sports Basements has a wide variety of sporting and camping gear. ***Plus 5% of all sales will go to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.***You can also make online donations at this site: http://www.active.com/donate/tntsvmb/tntsvmbSButlerThanks! Hope to see you on March 5th
Workout update

This week has been a blast. I could feel that my fitness level has increased dramatically since I started and rather than feeling tired from all the exercise, I feel awake and alive. Last Thursdays track practice was fun because we did a fair amount of circuit training which something that I do well. The group split up into 5 groups and then we went to separate stations. Here is what we did:

Station 1

We started off doing core muscles (tummy and lower back). I work my core daily so this station was almost a rest station for me.

Station 2

We did lunges, balancing exercises and squats...again something that I do a lot.

Station 3

At this station we did some running exercises. These entail walking on your toes and pointing your heels in various positions then walking on your heels and pointing them in various positions as well. We also did running butt kicks and high knees followed by karaoke’s (something that takes a massive amount of coordination). To do a Karaoke you so this funky sideways run where you put one foot in front then the other. Some of you aerobics fanatics out there know these as grape vines. We then did a bit of running which felt amazingly good. I was not even the last runner in this time (although I suspect a few people stopped for a porta potty break).

Station 4

We started off with some isometric arm exercises then did pushups which is something I do often. Then we had some Wheel Barrow Races which I have not done since I was 8. For those of you who have never partaken in a wheel barrow race it entails one person holding the other persons legs while the person on the floor uses their arms to progress forward. Here is a picture of some of my teammates in the middle of a race:














We started off going to the 10 yard line then switched positions to go back. After we switched again we went to the 15 yard line then switched and then to the 20. It was hard and my pants came down to my mid thigh at one point. Even more embarrassing…my partner was a guy!!!

Station 5

We did a 12 minute run increasing speed every 2 minutes. Like I told ya'll last week I only have 2 speeds not including stop but I tried to increase and I think I did. The best part of this run was that I almost caught up with some other runners. Eventually I think I will be able to catch up with at least one or two other runners.

When we were done with all 5 stations we did some stretches then listened to a teammate talk about how he was undergoing chemo while training for his first Triathlon with Team In Training!!! Wow...kind of makes me want to work harder.

On Saturday we swam over 2000 yards before the bike ride!!! Normally swimming is my easiest event by far but this week I finally got in a lane with people about my same pace and we all worked hard to push each other. After warming up we did 4 ladders which entails swimming an easy 100 yards then doing another 75 yards a little faster followed by a faster 50 then we sprinted 25 yards. These were tough and after doing 4 of these I thought our workout would be over but we did more. That's ok...it felt great and my teammates were all awesome which made it fun.

Right after the swim we jumped on our bikes. I started off with the pro/elite group. We rode down Foothill expressway into the Cupertino hills then we stopped at this park which had 2 massive hills that were at at least a 5% grade. We were supposed to go up and down these hills 5 times but after trying I realized that this group was a bit advanced for me. I then made the humbling decision to join the other group. Here is why I entitled this weeks Newsletter "Tour De Los Altos" I guess I did not pay attention to the directions that my mentor gave me which got me lost...Again. When he told me that they were at the park I thought he meant Rancho San Antonio Park so I did the hilly trek there. After not finding anyone I turned around and headed back up Foothill Expressway at which point the chain fell off my bike. So I jumped off and proceeded to fix it. A group of bikers stopped to assist but by then I had fixed the chain. Too avoid riding alone; I joined their group for 5 or 6 miles. I did not mind taking up the rear because these guys were HOT (sorry mom) By the time I reached El Monte Road I decided it was time to turn around. Conveniently, as soon as I turned around I found some people from the Team In Training Bike team. I joined them until I hit Grant Road where I finally found some people from my team going back to Mountain View High School. Oh well...I may have not done the intended workout but I definitely did get a workout and I got to know some HOT bikers in the mean time ;-)

On Sunday we did some hill intervals at Stanford University which were challenging but again the team made it fun. We met at the track then ran to "the Dish trail" We then ran up and down this amazingly steep hill 4 times. I guess the word for the week is "hill" on the way back it started to rain but that was ok since the workout was over anyway.

I changed up my workout for the week:

Monday - Spin and Weight Training with Core
Tuesday - Swim
Wednesday - Spin and Run
Thursday - Track
Friday - Day Off
Saturday - TNT Workout (Bike and Swim)
Sunday - Captains Runs (Hilly Run)

Update Ethan



Tuesday February 28, 2006 Busy Week

Hi, Everyone!

Sorry it's been a while since I wrote an update, but it's been a busy week, and a tiring one! We're thankful, though, that it's gone well!

Ethan finished his 7th day of radiation on Friday, and he is no longer afraid of the "Big Room!" In fact, he insisted that we go back to visit when he woke up from his anaesthesia, so we did! It makes it so much easier for me when I know he's not scared!

He also had chemo on Wednesday, which included shots in the legs, and that was a hard day! His, "Nina," Stevie, was there, and was a great help that whole day!

Yesterday, Ethan had to get a blood transfusion, as his hemoglobin was 8.8, and they like it to be above 10 when he's having radiation, as they think it's more effective that way. He tolerated it fine, and was a lot more energetic afterwards! (Happy blood!)

Next week, he has radiation on Mon, Tues, and Wed, and then he's done with that! He also has chemo on Wed, (but no shots!!), and then a break for a week! He is scheduled to begin "Long Term Maintenance" on March 8th if his blood counts have returned to "normal" which will last for a little over 2 years. This phase includes:

A lumbar puncture every three months (with chemo into the spinal fluid)

Vincristine (injection) once a month

Oral chemo daily (6MP)

Oral steroids 5 days out of every month (dexameth.)

Another oral chemo weekly (Methotrexate)

We are looking forward to starting this phase, as we have heard it is much easier than what we have been going through, but we realize we still have a long road ahead of us, and would still appreciate your steadfast prayers! Thank you so much for continuing with us on this journey!

Our oldest son, Colin, turned 12 on Friday, the 24th! Hard to believe he's almost a teenager! We celebrated Friday night with pizza and cookies, yesterday he had a bowling party with the boys, and today it's a family party at Papa's! He's such an awesome big brother, and it's so evident how much he loves and wants to take care of Ethan! (He also loves and takes care of Erin in different ways, but wouldn't be quick to admit it!)

Today is my mom's birthday, and it'll be good for us to all be together. (My mom died in 1988) Although she never got to meet any of her grandchildren, I know she would be so proud of all of them, and I'm so thankful for the wonderful example she was to me of how to be a mom!

Thank you again for checking in on us! Have a wonderful day!

Blessings,
Andrea (for the Marleys)


Fundraising Update:

So far I have raised $2365 which puts me 82% of my goal which is $2900. If you have already donated to my Team In Training page I thank you very much...if not and you are planning to donate please go to the following link:

http://www.active.com/donate/tntsvmb/tntsvmbSButler

Any amount of money will be much appreciated!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home