Last February I decided to take on the challenge of competing in the Wildflower Triathlon, one of the nations most difficult Triathlons,which took place in May of 2006. The distance I would cover included a 1.5K (1 mile) Open Water Swim, followed by an intense 40K (25 Mile) bike ride and finishing off with a 10K (6 Mile) Run. I finished this race in 5 hours, since then I have continued to document my journey. http://www.active.com/donate/tntsvmb/tntsvmbSButler

Friday, May 08, 2009

March 26 - 29 2009; WW Tri-ers Austin Spring Training Weekend




I had been looking forward to going to Austin for the WW-Triers weekend for a couple of years. We'd talked about it for a while but we did Portland, then Vegas and finally Tink had this fantastic idea of having just a triathlon weekend rather than getting all uptight about doing a triathlon. What better place to have it than Austin Texas? I really can't think of one :-)

So here's the thing...my blog entry has been in edit mode since April 1. I could either
A. Wait until I have time and properly write this post
B. Post my outline and either be done with it or come back later
C. Forget the whole thing

I chose B since this post is begging to be published for the world to see!


WW Tri-ers Spring Training Weekend Agenda
Austin, Texas
3/25/9 – 3/30/9


Friday 3/27/9

- 8:50am: Meet in hotel lobby for ride
It was so GREAT to see everyone. I had been anticipating this for months and there was no disappointing!


- 9:00am wheels down: Central Austin ride from hotel.
OMG! It was beautiful out and I chose to go sleeveless. Then it started thundering, then it started raining, then it started thundering. then the heavens opened up and I was waiting for Noah with his arch. We stopped at Mozarts for coffee and to wait for the weather to pass. In Austin fashion...the rain passed and the clouds left and the rest of the ride was beautiful.

- Post ride: Drop bikes off at Bicycle Sport Shop
The bike shops in Austin are OFF THE HOOK they are like mini communities each with a coffee shop inside. When I grow up I want to live in an Austin bike shop.


- Lunch immediately following ride, approx. 12:00: Shady Grove
The food here was amazing. I was a bit dissapointed because it was a Friday during lent so I couldn't eat anything with meat. Well that dissapointment went out the window when I got my food. I ordered fried catfish and it came with Queso on top. Yummmy!

- Afternoon: Run on Town Lake Trail, Barton Springs and/or free time
I didn't make it to Barton Springs because I was helping Jayne out by taking her to Mellow Jonnies so she could set up her talk the next day. It looks amazing though!

- 7:00 pm: Sunset, drinks & dinner at The Oasis on Lake Travis.
The view of Lake Travis and the amazing homes was really fantastic. Unfortunately, it was kind of cold outside so we brought it in. But not before taking a bunch of pics outside.
Sweet Sweet Jodi made us Recipe books out of recipe's we emailed her before the weekend. The recipes all look so good. Can't wait to try them all!

Tink also made this super cool travel cup (well...she didn't make the cup) She made a great collage (see the top of this post) and put it on a travel mug.


Saturday 3/28/9

- 7:30 a.m. – Depart for Rosedale Ride
We could tell from the get go it was going to be SUPER cold. I took every piece of cycling clothing I owned and shoved it in a bag. Everyone shared what they had because we were going to start in 30 degree weather. I myself wore arm warmers, sports bra (warmest I could find), thermal undershirt, gore wind jacket, another jacket, Bib shorts, leg warmers, running shorts over the bib shorts, wool socks, shoes, warm hat, and helmet.

- 8:30 a.m. – Wheels Down, Rosedale Ride
The weather looks amazing in this picture but I could tell you that it was cold and WINDY. In fact someone said the winds were 30 - 35MPH. I just don't understand how you could have a circular route and consistently be in a headwind or crosswind. You would think it would be at your back for more than 3 measly miles. We were going to do the 60 miler but we were all more than satisfied doing the 40. Only Tink was crazy enough to do the supersized ride.

- Lunch available for purchase after ride
MMMM...Jalepenio stuffed in cheese wrapped in bacon

- Afternoon: ChiRunning Clinic w. CoachT Barton Springs and/or free time
I was toast when it was over so I didn't make it to Coach T's Chi running course. I'm not sure if anyone did. (Little secret...some of us went shopping instead)

- 5:00-6:30 p.m.: Book event with Jayne Williams (Slow Fat Triathlete) at Mellow Johnny’s
I went to church instead of listening to Jayne's talk. I tried to convince myself that I should attend the church of the Slow Fat Triathlete instead but God would have none of that.
- Approx. 7:00pm Dinner and drinks at Tinks house.
Margharitas were flowing and went down well. A little too well for some judging by the carnage left on the 10K course the next day. But boy was Tinks dinner a highlight for the weekend. I especially enjoyed toasting to Karis and then getting out of the hot tub to jump into the cold pool.



Sunday 3/29/9
- 8:45 a.m.: Capitol 10K Run
Great costumes including "Running Nose", Our Very own Sweet Potato Queen (Carole), a bunch of pirates and burly men dressed as Wonder Woman, and much more. I wore my Pajamas and a Tiara. Running with a Tiara is the best ever!

- clean up
A couple of us ended up doing sink showers. We basically went into the hotel bathroom and washed up. Luckily I had my bandana to use as a wash cloth

- 11:30 a.m.: Brunch reservations at Iron Cactus.
It was sad to say goodbye to some people. I had such a fantastic time!

- pm: Dinner, drinks & music
With a few of us left, we still had another night of fun and mischief

- See the Bats come out to play
It really was amazing watching thousands of bats emerging from underneath the bridge. Magical!


Monday 3/30/9
- 7am: Go Home
I'll miss everyone. See you next year!


To see more pics and to hear from others go to:
http://austinspringtraining2009.blogspot.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Tinkerbell said...

Honestly, Sandy, if it weren't for you the weekend never would have happened. Your enthusiasm for Austin after the November trip encouraged me to see if folks would be interested in coming. And oh man, did they come! It was an amazing, fun, memorable weekend and I'm so glad you were part of it.

11:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home